McKENZIE, Duncan 2
- Born: Mar 25, 1833, Duirinish, Isle Of Skye, Inverness, Scotland 3
- Marriage: MUNRO, Catherine on Feb 6, 1855 in 3 Brighton Place, Glasgow, Scotland 1 2
Birth date from Church records on Gov. web site.
Details from Marriage Certificate -
Bride & Groom signed with "X"
Alexander 21y.o. (birth date unknown) born in the Parish of Durinish, Isle of Skye, Scotland. Agricultural Labourer.
Catherine 19y.o. (birth date unknown) born in the Parish of Dingwall, Ross-shire, Scotland.
Address at time of marriage - 6 Clyde Street, Anderston,Glasgow.
ARCHIBALD'S birth certificate says parents married on 6th Feb 1855, Glasgow.
No record of a similar marriage on Gov. web site or IGI (CJCLDS)
ARCHIBALD the only offspring not mentioned on CJCLDS.
Links with listed parents need to be confirmed.
1. Occupation: Quay Labourer, 1899. 4 In 1891 Cencus he was a "ships labourer"
2. Census, 1881-1901. 4 Katie de Haan advised the following data from Greenock Renfrewshire Census records for Duncan McKenzie and Catherine Munro
1881 gives birthplace for both as Inverness-shire, Edinbain which is Duirinish Parish on Skye.
1891 gives birthplace for both as Inverness Sky [sic]
1901 gives birthplace for Catherine and Duncan as Edinbain Skye
She agrees that these could all be described as Duirinish (Edinbain)Parish on Skye, Inverness-shire.
few more details from the census:
1881 \endash Duncan & Catherine's address is 3 Charles Street Greenock Middle. Four children in the house: Donald 16 Margaret 11 John 9 & Archibald 6 and a lodger also from Duirinish on Skye, 66 year old Neil McKay.
(As a cosequence of this an additional child "John" has been added)
\endash Duncan and Catherine's address is 6 West Stewart Street Greenock West and the family includes twelve people, they themselves, two sons John and Archie, son-in-law Archibald White (!) (widower) with 7 grandchildren White: Jane Archibald Isabella Donald Roseann James and Duncan. Duncan McKenzie is a ship's labourer,
\endash Duncan and Catherine are living at 71 Vennel in Greenock, with four Sinclair grandchildren living with them, Donald, John, Francis & Duncan, but none of their own children in the house at the time. This is also the address for both Catherine and son Archibald on her death record.
3. Family. On the birth certificate of their son Archibald White, No 120 West parish of Greenock, Renfrew, an informant was Barbara McKenzie a sister of Duncan.whose mark was added by the Registrar (possibly)
Duncan married Catherine MUNRO, daughter of Donald MUNRO and Maryanne MUNRO, on Feb 6, 1855 in 3 Brighton Place, Glasgow, Scotland.1 2 (Catherine MUNRO was born on Feb 3, 1834 in Kilmuir Easter, Ross-Shire 3 4, christened on Mar 3, 1834 in Kilmuir Easter, County Ross & Cromarty 4 and died on Sep 26, 1901 in 71 Locnnel? Greenock 4.)
1. Marriage. 2 Certificate 218 in the 1855 Register of the District Blythshire, Burrough of Glasgow, where the date of marriage was 13 Jun 1855. (See subsequent information of a different date.)
2. Marriage. 2 On the birth certificate of their son Archibald, No.126 Page 42 on the Register of West Greenock, Renfrew, their marriage date is given as 6 Feb 1855 and is probably the more correct. This date is also confirmed on his actual birth certificate No. 120 of the West Parish of Greenock, County Renfrew.