2. HELM, Henriette Elizabeth
1. ANDERSON, Georgina Johanna
3. HELM, Charlotte Anna Susan
EDMEADES, John Robert Bazett 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
- Born: Sep 16, 1853, Zeekoegat, Oudtshoorn District, Cape Colony, Southern Africa 1 2 8
- Marriage (1): ANDERSON, Georgina Johanna on Mar 11, 1879 1
- Marriage (2): HELM, Henriette Elizabeth after 1889
- Marriage (3): HELM, Charlotte Anna Susan after Dec 29, 1906 in Heidelberg, Cape Colony, Southern Africa 2
- Died: Aug 13, 1928, Oudtshoorn, Cape Province, Union Of South Africa aged 74 1 2 4 8
Another name for John was EDMEADS, John Robert Bazett.8
Death Notice Transcription
KAB MOOC 6/9/3392/19854 filed 3rd September 1928
Name of Deceased: John Robert Bazett EDMEADES
Birthplace: Zeekoegat, District Oudtshoorn
Father of deceased: William Penvil EDMEADES
Mother of Deceased: Mary Ann Margaret EDMEADES born KNIPE
Age of Deceased: 74 years and 11 months
Ordinary place of Residence: Maidstone Villa Oudtshoorn
Condition in Life: Married out of Community of Property
Surviving Spouse: Charlotte Anna Susan EDMEADES, born HELM
Pre-deceased Spouse and date of decease:
Georgina Johanna EDMEADES, born ANDERSON died 23 February 1889
Henrietta Elizabeth EDMEADES born HELM died 16 July 1905
Place of Last Marriage: Heidelberg, Cape
Date of Death: 13th August 1928
Place of Death: Office of African Mutual Trust, Oudtshoorn
Children of the Deceased:
Bazett William Ebenezer EDMEADES
Cecil George Elliott EDMEADES
Mabel Evelyn YARR born EDMEADES married in community of property to William YARR.
Ivy Marion Eleanor RABONE born EDMEADES, married out of Community of Property to Sydney RABONE.
Georgina Anna Maria WILSON born EDMEADES, married out of Community of Property to William WILSON
Henry Charles EDMEADES
Mildred Charlotte EDMEADES
Penvil John Edward EDMEADES
Herbert Edwin EDMEADES
Winifred Henrietta EDMEADES born 30th August 1909.
Movable Property: Yes
Immovable Property: Yes
Estate exceeds £300: Yes
Deceased left a Will: Yes
Dated at: Oudtshoorn on 30th August 1928
Signed by: C.A.S. EDMEADES - Surviving Spouse not present at death but subsequently received the corpse.
1. Will: Transcription on Will filmed with Death Notice, Jul 1926, Oudtshoorn, Cape Province, Union Of South Africa. 9 WILL
JOHN ROBERT BAZETT EDMEADES of Oudtshoorn married without Community of Property to CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN EDMEADES, born HELM, do hereby revoke all former Wills Codicils or other Testamentary Dispositions made by me before the date hereof and declare this to be my last Will and Testament.
Before proceeding to the election of Heirs I hereby give grant and bequeath as follows:-
1. To my son BAZETT WILLIAM EBENEZER EDMEADES, my gold signet Ring, the Gold Sleeve Links (J.E.), Suite case and Brief Bag (J.R.B.E.). Photographs Oudtshoorn Coat of Arms, his Grandfather Anderson's (the one with his cap on at present in the Dining room) and Independent Church.
2. To my son CECIL GEORGE ELLIOTT EDMEADES, my Gold watch key with his mothers hair worked in, my other Gold Ring, two Gold Studs (Collar and back) safe, cashbox, Gladstone Bag (J.R.B.E.) clock in passage with date indicator, Photographs of his Grandfather Anderson now in my Office, and those of his Grandmothers' (Anderson & Edmeades) in dining room.
3. To the children (Jointly) of my Daughter MABEL EVELYN YARR, born EDMEADES, The Seaweed picture made by the Aunts (Anderson) Silver Inkstand, Cheese Stand, Large Chair (bought from YARR) all the Furniture in the rooms presently occupied by the said MABEL EVELYN YARR, born EDMEADES, subject to the usufruct in favour of their mother the said MABEL EVELYN YARR, born EDMEADES, during her life time.
4. To my daughter IVY MARION ELEANOR RABONE, born EDMEADES. The set of teaspoons presented to me by the staff of the late firm of Divine Hall & Co, Two Fruit spoons, Gong, Biscuit Barrel (porclain) Hall Stand, Book in office Cape Colony by Gale - and her mother's Bible.
5. To my daughter GEORGINA ANN MARIA WILSON, born EDMEADES. The presentation clock in the Dining room, overmantle and Music Stand (both at present in the parlour) large photographs of her Grand parents (Helm) and my autograph album.
6. To my son HENRY CHARLES EDMEADES. My Gold watch and chain (presented to me by my friend the late David Watson) Two gold Sleeve Studs, my fancy gold front stud, silver Inkstand (E) Office Chair, Book Shelf containing the set of Books "Willed" to him by his late mother.
7. To my daughter MILDRED CHARLOTTE EDMEADES, The marble clock in the bedroom, Typewriter, small side board in Dining room, her mother's old broach (with diamond in centre) and her mother's Bible (a present from her cousin).
8. To my son PENVIL JOHN EDWARD EDMEADES, My gold Chain (given to me by my son Bazett) silver watch, Standard Dictionary - 2 Volumes (by Monk? & Eaggnalls) chest of Drawers in my room, Gold Pen & Pencil case and Tie Pin (Leaf shape).
9. To my son HERBERT EDWIN EDMEADES, The large inlaid table in parlour, The Books Poets etc on the three top shelves on Book case (At present in my office) together with all Stevenson's Books - Gold Tie pin (given to me by my friend Meyer LUNTZ, and the large Chair given to me by the children of my late brother Edwin.
10. To my daughter WINIFRED HENRIETTA EDMEADES, One fruit Service, Chest of Drawers with mirror and washstand - stain wood - Dressing Table and washstand (Mahogany) at present in her room, Clothes Cupboard, Hanging Cupboard,d Chest of Drawers and Standing Mirror, Eagle Bracket, small Tea Service (Tea Pot, Sugar Basin, & Milk Jug) and the Clock presented by Independent Church.
11. Further in consideration of the fact that my two youngest sons the said PENVIL JOHN EDWARD EDMEADES and HERBERT EDWIN EDMEADES, were born subsequently to the making of the will of my late wife the said HENRIETTA ELIZABETH EDMEADES born HELM. I specially grant and bequeath unto them as follows:-
To PENVIL JOHN EDWARD EDMEADES, The Silver sugar basin (E) one old Stinkwood chair (in passage) and Nelson's Encyclopedia (25 volumes)
To HERBERT EDWIN EDMEADES, The silver eggstand, watch chain (Silver) used by his mother and the other old Stinkwood chair.
To my Wife the said CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN EDMEADES born HELM, The parlour suite, small tables and pictures in parlour, Bedstead complete, Toiletsets, 2 easy chairs, Box Ottoman, small Tables, Bed cupboard and pictures in our Bedroom, the other Fruit service, Large Side Board and overmantle in Dining room.
The remainder of my Books to be equally divided amongst all my ? Children.
Now proceeding to the election of Heirs, I hereby appoint nominate and constitute all my children born out of my marriages with the late GEORGINA JOHANNA EDMEADES, born ANDERSON, The late HENRIETTA ELIZABETH EDMEADES, born HELM and the said CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN EDMEADES, born HELM, save and except my daughter MABEL EVELYN YARR, born EDMEADES, but her lawful descendants shall come up jointly for her share, subject to the usufruct in favour of my daughter MABEL EVELYN YARR, born EDMEADES, during her life time to be my sole and Universal Heirs, and in the event of the predecease of one or more of them then and in that case the lawful descendants of such predeceased shall come up for their deceased Parent's share per Stirpes - of all my Estate, Goods, Effects, inheritances, Credits and Things whatsoever and wheresoever situated, which may be left at my Death, or which may become due to me after my Death, whether movables or immovables and of what kind and nature soever, whether same in possession reversion remainder or expectancy, nothing excepted - save and except the above mentioned bequests, and, remainder of house-hold Furniture which shall then be divided equally amongst my Heirs, subject to the usufruct of the Furniture in favour of my Wife the said CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN EDMEADES, born HELM, during her life time or Widowhood, as also save and except bequests under Clause three (3).
It is my wish that the property presently known as "Maidstone Villa" or "Maidstone" situate on West Bank Oudtshoorn shall if possible, not be sold so as to provide a Home for my Wife the said CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN EDMEADES, born HELM, during her lifetime or Widowhood and for my unmarried child or children, but the decision herein must of course rest with the Heirs themselves, and, they must abide by the decision of the majority and obtain the sanction (in writing) of the Executors to sell the property.
I appoint and nominate the said CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN EDMEADES, born HELM, and my son BAZETT WILLIAM EBENEZER EDMEADES to be my Executors of this my last Will and Disposition as also guardian over my minor children, granting unto them, respectively, all power and authority allowed in law especially those of assumption I reserve unto myself the right and power at all times to make all such alterations or additions to this my Will as I shall think fit, either by separate act or at the foot hereof, desiring that all such alterations or additions so made under my own signature shall be held as valid and effectual as if they had been inserted herein.
Witness whereof I have here unto set my hand at Oudtshoorn this ??th Day of July 1926, in the presence of the undersigned witnesses.
Signed J.R.B. EDMEADES
2. Marriage Contract: Transcription of Antenuptial Contract of Thrid Marriage, Dec 29, 1906, Oudtshoorn, Cape Colony, Southern Africa. 9 ANTENUPTIAL CONTRACT
KNOW ALL MEN WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
That on the 19th day of December in the year of our Lord ONE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED AND SIX (1906) before me Timothy Smith, Notary Public by lawful authority duly sworn and admitted, residing and practising at Oudtshoorn in the Colony of the Cape of Good Hope and in the presence of the undermentioned witnesses personally came and appeared JOHN ROBERT BAZETT EDMEADES, a Widower of Oudtshoorn, of the one part, and HENRY CHARLES HELM, of Oudtshoorn of the other part he being duly authorized thereto by a Power of Attorney granted to him by CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN HELM, a Spinster of full age of Heidelberg, Cape Colony, bearing date the 11th day of December 1906 and drawn up at Heidelberg in the presence and certified by competent witnesses which Power of Attorney is hereunto annexed - And the Appearers declared that whereas a marriage has been agreed upon, and is intended to be shortly had and solemnized between the said JOHN ROBERT BAZETT EDMEADES the Appearer of the first part and CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN HELM, they do by these presents contract and agree each with the other as follows:-
First. That there shall be no Community of Property, or of Profit or loss between the said intended Consorts, but that he or she shall respectively retain and possess all his or her Estate and effects movable and immovable, in possession, reversion, expectancy or contingency, as fully and effectually as if the said marriage did not take lace.
Second. That the one of them shall not be answerable for the debts and engagements of the other of them, whether contracted before or after the said intended marriage.
Third. That all inheritance, legacies, gifts or bequests, which may devolve upon, or be left, given or bequeathed to either of the intended Consorts shall be the sole and exclusive property of him or her upon or to whom the same shall devolve or be left, given or bequeathed.
Fourth. That each of the said intended Consorts shall be at full liberty to dispose of his or her property, and effects by Will, Codicil, or other Testamentary disposition, as he or she may think fit.
Fifth. That in consideration of the said marriage the said JOHN ROBERT BAZETT EDMEADES, gives and grants as he hereby declares to have given and granted unto the said CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN HELM.
1st. The Sum of One Hundred and Fifty Pounds (£150) Sterling as her own and exclusive property to be by her dealt with and disposed of as she may deem fit and proper.
2nd. The Appearer of the first part hereby assigns sets over and cedes to and in favour of the said CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN HELM, all his right, title and interest in and to a certain Life Policy annexed to the gross hereof dated the 28th day of April 1893 and numbered 51695 effected on his life in the Union Assurance Society of London for the sum of £250:0:0 sterling together with all profits and accumulations due or to grow thereon and he further undertakes to pay the usual premium from time to time.
The Appearer of the Second Part on behalf of his constituent the said CHARLOTTE ANNA SUSAN HELM acknowledged and declared to have received the said sum of £150 and cession of the Life Policy No. 51695 upon the conditions and stipulations hereinbefore set forth and lastly declared gratefully at accept same.
Upon all which conditions and stipulations the Appearer of the first part and the Appearer of the second part on behalf of his above named constituent declared it to be the intention of the aforementioned parties to solemnize the said intended marriage mutually promising to allow each other the full force and effect hereof under obligation of their persons and property according to Law.
Thus done contracted and agreed at Oudtshoorn the day Month and year aforesaid in the presence of the subscribing witnesses
Signed J.R.B. EDMEADES
H.C. HELM q.q.
Quod Attestor. T. SMITH Notary Public.
N. CAMERON FRASER
3. Occupation: Broker.
4. Religion. The Edmeades Family were members of the Anglican Church. However when John.R.B.Edmeades married Georgina Johanna Anderson, he changed to the Independent Congregational Church and served as Treasurer of the Oudtshoorn congregation until his death in 1928.
John married Georgina Johanna ANDERSON, daughter of Rev. Bartholomew Ebenezer ANDERSON and Georgina Johanna ELLIOTT, on Mar 11, 1879.1 (Georgina Johanna ANDERSON was born on Feb 25, 1857 in Dysseldorp, Oudtshoorn District, Cape Colony, Southern Africa,1 10 died on Feb 23, 1889 in George, Cape Colony, Southern Africa 1 2 10 and was buried on Feb 26, 1889 in Oudtshoorn, Cape Colony, Southern Africa.)
John next married Henriette Elizabeth HELM, daughter of Rev. Henry Charles HELM and Anna Susanna VAN NIEKERK, after 1889. (Henriette Elizabeth HELM was born on Jan 1, 1868 in Heidelberg, Cape Colony, Southern Africa 7 8 11 and died on Jul 16, 1905 in West Bank, Oudtshoorn, Cape Colony, Southern Africa 2 7 8 11.)
John next married Charlotte Anna Susan HELM, daughter of Frederick Richard HELM and Maria Cradoxia Georgina SMUTS, after Dec 29, 1906 in Heidelberg, Cape Colony, Southern Africa.2 (Charlotte Anna Susan HELM was born on Feb 25, 1868 12, christened on Mar 29, 1868 in Oudtshoorn, Cape Colony, Southern Africa 12 and died on Feb 3, 1930 in Heidelberg, Cape Colony, Southern Africa.)