|SPYKER, Johannes, Ds.
SPYKER, Johannes, Ds. 1
- Born: Jun 17, 1792
- Christened: Jun 20, 1792, Nieuwe Kerk, Amsterdam
- Marriage: BRINK, Susana Maria
- Died: May 21, 1865, Cape Town, Cape Colony, Southern Africa aged 72 1
Johannes arrived in 1817 from Netherlands. He was a Nederduitsche Gerefoormeerde Kerk Minister. 1
1. Life Storie. Some notes: - educated at the Gymnasium & Athenaeum in Amsterdam where he received a book prize in 1809.
- studied theology at university of Utrecht 1814-1816 under professors Rooyaards, Heringa, and Van Oordt.
- at Utrecht became friendly with Cape Town student Cornelis Mol who encouraged him to come out to South Africa.- August 1816 admitted by provincial Church executive of North Brabant and ordained for service at the Cape. - October 1816 sailed for Cape Town on the ship Alacrity from Torbay with Cornelis Mol & other missionaries: Evan Evans; James Kitchingham; Robert Moffat; John Brownlee.
- 1st fulltime Dutch Reformed Minister at Swellendam 1817-1823 - 1st fulltime DR Minister at Somerset West 1823-1829 - DR Minister at Swartland (Malmesbury) 1829-1834- 2nd Minister (assistant) at Moederkerk (Groote Kerk) 1834-1864)
(Married) Susanna Maria Brink (born 22/7/1789; died 26/11/1867)
Johannes married Susana Maria BRINK. (Susana Maria BRINK was born on Jul 22, 1789 and died on Nov 26, 1867.)
Dr. D. F. du Toit MALHERBE, Family Register of a South African Nation (Third Edition published by TEGNIEK STELLENBOSCH, 1966.
This is a wonderful source of clues on specific families, but all data in the publication needs to be verified with Original Sources.), SPYKER Extract - Page 968. Cit. Date: Oct 7, 2002.